Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2022 18:08:30 -0400
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, Freebsd current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SAS/SATA controllers: 8 port that support 8TB Drives

On 17.06.2022 11:59, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade the controllers in my TrueNAS box to something
> that will
> support 8TB drives because apparently my LSI 2108 controllers do not
> support 8TB drives.
>
> What's the communities recommendation?
> needs to support SFF connectors for a total of 4 SFF connectors, as I
> have 16 slots.

We at iX are still using LSI/Broadcom HBAs, just moved from long
discontinued mps(4) to newer mpr(4).  And I don't believe the problem is
directly related to capacity.  According to my observations it may be
Seagate HDDs of/above certain (8TB) generation.  We do not use Seagate
HDDs in our products, so about that instability I only heard from forums
and TrueNAS community user reports.

--
Alexander Motin