Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:06:07 -0800
From:      Craig Leres <leres@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   portconfig vs xterm

I was trying to give 13.3-BETA1 a legit tryout and ended up spending
hours fighting with portconfig. In my experience it does not play well
with xterm. Function and arrow keys are no-ops and unlike dialog4ports
it does not allow navigation with ^P/^N. Given that that my TERM is set
to xterm when I login to the *console* of my newly installed 13.3 system
(as when I ssh in from my FreeBSD desktop) how can my user experience be
so terrible?

I eventually figured out I could go back by adding:

     DIALOG=/usr/local/bin/dialog4ports

to /etc/make.conf.

Have a I managed to overlook a subtle clue somewhere?

Similarity, I jave been hitting this on my 13.2 build server and today
figured out the poudriere itself had a dependency on portconfig. Good
luck using portconfig to change the option that controls this though.
(In the end I used my windows laptop which identifies as a vt220 to ssh
in -- so I didn't have to resort to editing the options file with vi...)

		Craig