Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:53:28 +0000
From:      Emre <emre@iris.vsrc.uab.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   .bash_history and permissions

Hi folks!

I'm running FreeBSD 4.0 from Dec. 26 1999.  This should be on the "general
questions" malininglist, but I thought maybe there is something that changed
from -stable to -current that does this:

I'm trying to limit permissions on .bash_history.  There have been users
on my server that have linked .bash_history to /dev/null and then been
doing some cracking, and attacking other servers.  To limit this (or at
least trying to control it) I tried to take out write permission for
group and others, thinking that will stop the users from trying to mod-
ify the file.  That didn't work!  Even if I did "chmod 000 .bash_history"
users still could delete the file or modify it.  So I thought maybe if I
just change the group or the owner of the file, it would fix the problem
that didn't work either...now it wouldn't log the commands to the history
file anymore.

So I was wondering, do any of you gurus and bofh know how to fix this?
This is very imporant for me, I'd be _very_ thankful if anyone could
help me fix this problem.

(PS: In other's OSs i.e Solaris or Linsucks, changing the perms seemd
to work, just not in FreeBSD)

--
DSS/DH 1024/4064: 0x5E9EE10A/0x2486FEBE