Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:00:40 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on this patch?

In message <20000127144543.C81615@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: > BTW, I'm getting numbers that are 2x bigger than before :-(.    I had
: > makebuildworld down to around 1:20 at one point, but now it is 2:40.
:
: Which compilers for both times?

What ever was on -current as of 2.5 years ago.  This is comparing the
make buildworld of 3 years ago with the make buildworld of today.
This was in the 8/5/97 timeframe.  I got the buildworld time down to
1:20 on my machine with async mount options and two spindles.  Now
with the faster spindle and an even faster spindle, my buildworld
times are 2:40.  There may have been some things i turned off in the
make.conf that I have on now.  NOTCL was included before, for
example.  My machine was 128M in 97 and is 196M now.

So I'd say this is with 2.7.3 and the compiler in today's current.
There's so much that has changed in the last 2.5 years so this is more
like grousing rather than pointing to a problem.

Warner