Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:06:44 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern init_main.c

* Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> [000225 11:52] wrote:
> > When using excessively verbose boots, the scroll-back buffer often doesn't
> > reach back far enough.  Is there any way, as with dmesg.boot in a normal
> > install, we could provide sysinstall-based access to the boot messages
> > without using the scroll-back?  I.e., a new menu option, ``Review Hardware
> > Probe Messages'' which provided a scrollable window pointing at the
> > contents of dmesg?
>
> I can do this, but it will only really help you post-boot time.
> The /var/run/dmesg.boot file doesn't exist on the MFS filesystem.

It's be nice if it was possible, the last time I looked at any Linux
install, they all try to hide that stuff ala WinNT making it hard to
diagnose why things aren't working right, such as cards reporting
irq 255 (need to turn of PnP OS) and other things like sharing irqs.

I know I can use scroll lock to go up, but having it as a menu item
would be really nifty.

thanks,