Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:09:49 +0100
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   idea: official hardware manufacturer blacklist - let's wake em up!

ok guys, here's just a little idea on how to get the hardware
manufacturer guys a little bit more responsive (in fact, i got somehow
"inspired" by the alsa sound project guys because they got something
similar)...

let's put up a list of hardware manufacturers that do not answer our
mails, that do not hear our pleas for driver development, that simply do
not react. then we might publish a link to this thing on the freebsd.org
homepage and write some cutey little press release on that to zdnet and
daemonnews and other news sites. maybe we got some more responsiveness
then. i'm tired of write lots of emails just to get some details or
techspecs of chipsets and pieces of peripheral hardware sounding like "i
am tiny, you are big, please gimme documentation and dont sue me for
using it".

jordan: how far did you come with the idea of having some legal stuff
running over the .org when it comes to nda crap? you told us that you
would investigate the possibilites of having nda's signed by officials
from freebsd inc., since this would also be a strong point for getting
more explicit hardware docu...

okay, kill me with your discussion thread! i would have some nice
database interface up and running for the blacklist stuff in about one
week (cebit is putting quite a sysload on me)...

/k

--
> May the source be with you!
http://www.webmonster.de http://www.apache.de http://www.splatterworld.de