Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:47:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixed: Trouble installing xpdf port in 3.4-stable

Hi all (again)...

Many thanks for the prompt & thorough responses to my "little xpdf
problem."  I appreciate your suggestions in my getting this working.

As Chuck Robey (chuckr@picnic.mat.net) pointed out (& as I found
out myself upon some poking-around aka "hacking" :), my problem
was actually in a dependency-build, namely "t1lib."

Well, I got it (xpdf) working; here's what I did:  (aka "lessons
learned" that I've not been able to find in docs/Handbook or in
Greg's 3rd Edition...  :)

1.  Cvsup my ports.  (I've been tracking -stable in src-all for
    some time now.)  Apparently it is a *Very* Good Idea to
    track -ports (ie. cvsup ports-all) if you're tracking
    -stable.  A couple of folks suggested this...  :)

2.  Tried the make again.  It bombed again, but this time make
    complained about not being able to cd into t1lib's work
    directory.  I removed the files in that directory & tried
    the make again.  This time it downloaded a newer t1lib
    version, built it & completed the entire procedure.  I now
    have a working xpdf.  :)

Notes:

1.  I bet there is a make target that would have taken care of
    my t1lib boo-boo; it would be nice if I could find some
    "definitive list" of the various Ports-related make targets
    & functions, but it would not surprise me if it changes with
    maintenance...  I've seen some mention of these here on the list...

2.  My original "goal" of being able to get my ports distfiles
    off the CDs seems much less workagle in this case.  At this
    point I'm not sure how to deal with this...

3.  My little issue here seems to have touched-off
    mini-discussion on some crypto legalities/politics.  :)
    I was not aware of some of this & I'm glad this stuff has
    been brought to light.

Again, thanks for all your help & the resulting interesting "threads."

-kc