Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:27:47 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Cosmic 665 <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
Cc:        cwalker@computech-ca.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Wednesday,  8 March 2000 at 19:40:55 -0800, Cosmic 665 wrote:
>> Hello my name is Caleb Walker I am trying to learn the UNIX operating
>> system right now.  I am a Windows NT  Network Engineer in California.  I
>> am very interested in helping others and being involved in helping
>> forward FreeBSD UNIX.  Please let me know what I can do.
>
> I don't think you need to learn unix before FreeBSD.  Just make sure
> you understand the diferences between system V and BSD.  It would
> probably be in your best intrest to learn FreeBSD before any other
> unix OS.  Since a lot of ISP's (ex. USWest, etc.) use FreeBSD.  Get
> "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey (the author is often found on
> this mailing list),

It happens :-)  Usually I keep my mouth shut (Aunty Sue's orders).

> as well as a book like "Unix Secrets" and "Uinx in a Nutshell".

Really my book isn't for people learning UNIX, it's for people who
have some idea of UNIX who want to learn to use FreeBSD.  So Caleb's
idea is, at least in theory, a good one.

The real question is: what's a good book for learning UNIX?  There
were none when I learnt UNIX, but one book I rather like is "UNIX for
the Impatient" by Abrahams and Larson (Addison Wesley).  I'd be
interested in feedback from real newbies who have started out with
this book, because it will help me decide whether to continue
recommending it.

Greg