Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:09:43 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE boot.flp fails to boot on K6/2

Problem report booting 4.0-RELEASE follows.

  /boot.config: -P
  Keyboard: yes

  BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
  Console: internal video/keyboard
  BIOS drive A: is disk0
  BIOS drive C: is disk1
  BIOS 639kB/56256kB available memory

  FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
  (jkh@monster.cdrom.com, Wed Mar 15 01:23:43 GMT 2000)

  Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
  Booting [kernel]...
  /kernel text=0x1d56fe data=0x2f4ca0+0x1a718 zf_read: fill error

  elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
  can't load 'kernel'
  no bootable kernel
  \

  Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
  ok

What does this mean? If this is a -questions question, then please feel
free to flame me privately (just thought it sounded -currentish). If
there are any useful diags I can type, let me know.

Hardware is 350MHz K6/2, generic-looking Asus motherboard with
integrated video and audio, no-name PCI 10baseT ethernet adapter,
floppy, single 20G IDE disk, 64M RAM. No other peripherals.

Have tried different floppies. Recent OpenBSD snapshot floppy works
just fine, by way of crude hardware sanity check.