Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:29:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patches for test / review

:>
:> I would think that track-caches and intelligent drives would gain
:> much if not more of what clustering was designed to do gain.
:
:Hm. But I'd think that even with modern drives a smaller number of bigger
:I/Os is preferable over lots of very small I/Os. Or have I missed the point?
:
:--
:Wilko Bulte 			Arnhem, The Netherlands
:http://www.tcja.nl  		The FreeBSD Project: http://www.freebsd.org

    As long as you do not blow away the drive's cache with your big I/O's,
    and as long as you actually use all the returned data, it's definitely
    more efficient to issue larger I/O's.

    If you generate requests that are too large - say over 1/4 the size of
    the drive's cache, the drive will not be able to optimize parallel
    requests as well.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>