Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 18:26:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Autogenerated sources

In message <00Apr3.073102est.115202@border.alcanet.com.au> Peter Jeremy writes:
: I notice that there seem to be some autogenerated files related to USB
: and PCCARD in the repository.  Shouldn't the repository just contain
: the master files, with the header files generated as required during
: the make process?  How do these files differ from the device/bus files
: (/sys/kern/*.m), etc?

The pccard and usb stuff are that way because they are that way in
{Net,Open}BSD.  The usb and new pccard stuff is ports from there.

There has been some talk about "fixing" this, and I believe that all
parties agree that it is desirable.  However, until it is fixed, it
remains the way that it is.

There are also other generated files in the tree.  syscalls.c is
another example that is generated once, and then committed to the
tree.

Warner