Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:59:55 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 05:08:56PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>Of course, it still remains to be seen if having Unicode support on the
>console is a Good Thing(TM).

I don't see how it would be even possible, due to hardware limitations.
The console can only support an 8-bit font (I mean 8-bit encoding). If
you change it for one character, you change it for everything on the
console. And this was designed by *International* Business Machines! :)

I see the main way of supporting Unicode in providing libraries that
programs can use to convert between Unicode and local display.

I did some of it with my i18ntools. I wanted to do more, but could not
due to health reasons, as mentioned already. I am in a better shape
now, and hopefully will be able to resume the work I started. But it
won't happen in the near future for reasons other than else (mostly
because I am broke and am concentrating my programming efforts on
software I can sell - but when my current project is completed, I will
*probably* do more work on Unicode support for FreeBSD).

Cheers,
Adam

--
Suppose you were an idiot.