Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 08:24:22 GMT
From:      rudy-bulk@monkeybrains.net
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   audio troubles - Asus K7V motherboard

I'm having trouble getting my sound device working.  I have a motherboard
(Asus K7V) which has a SoundBlaster emulation option in the BIOS.

I can't seem to get any sound out of my speakers with 'waveplay', and
enlightenment complains when I start it up.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

---- /usr/X11R6/bin/sound-properties ------------------
  unsupported sound format: 33
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
  Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
  unsupported playback rate: 44100
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
  Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
  unsupported sound format: 33
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
  Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.

---- dmesg --------------------------------------------
chip2: <VIA 82C686 AC97 Audio> port 0xa000-0xa003,0xa400-0xa403,0xa800-0xa8ff irq 10 at device 4.5 on pci0
[snip]
sbc0: <Soundblaster Pro> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
pcm1: <SB DSP 3.02> on sbc0

---- kernel configuration ------------------------------
device          pcm
device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

I ran ./MAKEDEV snd1 to create my /dev/dsp device.

I have tried many different kernel configurations and BIOS settings, but can't
seem to figure out what I have done wrong.  Any advice would be gratefully
accepted.

TaHdAvNaKnScIeN,
Rudy