Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 13:42:51 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <Jonathan.Chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Andy Coates <andy@friends-tv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping the modem from dropping

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 02:27:09AM +0100, Andy Coates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember a mate who runs linux saying he could compile into his kernel so
> that if the modem was given the signal to drop by the ISP it would like
> ignore it and stay connected.

Really? How does it deal with the fact the ISP will have dropped
carrier? Sounds like he's either got his facts wrong or he's talking
about something else altogether.

> Does such a thing exist with the FreeBSD kernel or some configuration?

There's the PPP timeout parameter, but that deals with local side
configuration to stop the modem from hanging up when there's been no
activity for a given number of seconds.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>