Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 12:57:57 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Rob Furphy <rcf@ox.com>, "freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patchset 8 fonts

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 10:58:33AM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> There were two things here:
>
> (a) The code was merged with that in the Java porting team's CVS
>     repository.  They were using the current font.properties.
> (b) Robert's font.properties doesn't work for me (XFree86 3.3.3.1), so
>     I was unsure that it was working for others.  Are the URW fonts
>     standard with later versions of XFree86 or do they need to be
>     installed separately?
>
> Can you please define "unusable" in terms of the current fonts?  They
> should be no more unusable than those in the Blackdown port which can
> be run under emulation.

I have 4-STABLE and XFree86 3.3.5. The linux-jdk port as well as the
native one with patchset 8, can't find the fonts in the default
font.properties. Robert's file works fine, as long as you get the URW
fonts and install them. I think that ultimately we could either make the
1.2.2 jdk depend on the URW fonts, or use the ones from 1.1.8. Actually,
I tried that but they couldn't be found either. Dunno why...

BTW, JDBC Explorer from JBuilder works like a charm, but JBuilder itself
doesn't. I think it must be those tools.jar & jpda.jar files it uses.

-past