Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 20:26:34 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Necessary to use a UPS ?

Hi - I'm sorry if this is a FAQ but I can't find it mentioned
elsewhere. I'm planning to install FreeBSD on an old PC but I'm
concerned that I don't have an uninterruptible power supply.

I thought I had heard that Unix file systems could get very nastily
twisted when they were powered down unexpectedly but I don't see
any reference to the necessity for them in the various FreeBSD
books/web pages I have read.

What's the worse thing that can happen ? The machine will be
initially only be used for a 'play web server'.

Interested in your thoughts/experiences.

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46
Wellington