Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 22:46:24 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TV Users - Let me bounce this off you

Thomas Runge:
 |Well, making complicated things esier is almost always a good idea :-)
 |
 |But it's necessary to specify a good API, which lets you make simple
 |things easy, but doesn't stop you making more complicated tasks.

Agreed.  If sufficient interest (and interested developers) popped up, that
was going to be the next thread.  (Though doesn't look like we're going to
get critical mass for this one.)

 |I didn't have a look into the Video4Linux API, but wouldn't it be
 |a good idea to support that?

I did a quick browse of their docs, and AFAICT it's an app-driver
(i.e. userland-kernel) interface spec.  It doesn't appear to abstract the
machinizations necessary for talking to X11 or for example.  So the scope of
this userland driver would likely be a superset of whatever driver
interface is used, be it V4L/V4U or bktr.

Though you make a good point.  If we're planning on switching the low-level
driver interface to V4U anytime, we should do that first so we don't need a
massive rewrite for yet another userland service built on top.

 |And how about supporting multiple output sources?

Do you mean multiple capture cards in one machine?  I'm not completely sure
I know what you mean, because doesn't bktr currently support that
(/dev/bktr{0,1,...}, /dev/tuner{0,1,...})?

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com