Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDDEATH.c.txt (mmap dirty page no check bug)

:>This seems to be doing the rounds with the script kiddies fairly quickly.
:>I've attached it.
:>(originally found at: http://ls.si.ru/tmp/FreeBSDDEATH.c.txt - dumped
:>by some skr1pt k1dd1es on irc)

    If you go back one day Oleg posted the same snippit.  It is possible
    to lockup a machine with this code, but the program isn't going to
    be very effective on any machine with public shell accounts if that
    machine has quotas enabled.

    I put quotas on every partition users had access to at BEST, including
    /tmp (100MB quota).  In fact, /tmp turned out to be the single most
    important partition to put a quota on due to the sheer number of
    programs that just assumed it would never fill up (and the sheer number
    of bozo users who would use /tmp to unpack warez and never delete any
    of it).

    I should be able to get a fix in this weekend.

						-Matt