Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:23:59 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT access

[-committers -> -chat]

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 07:03:54PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Would our estimate japanese committers please settle on a standard for
> names?

Here in the Engineering Science (previously Engineering Physics)
program at UoT, we've toyed with the idea of getting-rid of names
altogether.  Rather, people would be referred to according to their
rank within the class.

This would give me a name like "number 254"(*) or something, but that's not
the point.  :)  We could name people within FreeBSD according to their
order within the cvs/access file.  This would make Tim van der Hoek be
known as "number 93" and Daniel C. Sobral known as "number 137".

I think this would be a good solution to our cross-cultural problems.
I think it also might reduce the number of conflicts.  If I said
"Danial C. Sobral made a pretty dumb suggestion the other day", that
would certainly raise somebody's hackles.  If, however, I said "Number
137 is spitting his usual drivel", that could slip right past and
nobody would notice.  ;-)  ;-)

(*) Actually, I think that's better than double the number of people
    in the class, but that's also beside the point.

--
Signature withheld by request of author.