Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:35:00 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel and FreeBSD neck and neck?

> > That's true.  BSD's venerable memory management is one area that seems to be
> > a stronghold.
>
> I don't know about venerable: I read somewhere that a lot of the
> FreeBSD improvements are recent and due to Matt Dillon, and also that

Well, that's true, since the 4.0 rewrite.  WHich is quite impressive.

> he's talking to Alan Cox of linux and eventually the memory management
> of FreeBSD and Linux may "merge"... I can't remember where I read this
> latter bit or how reliable the source may have been.  But Alan Cox is
> an admirer of FreeBSD and runs it on one machine, and often mentions
> it in interviews.

I guess my only concern is whether we can stay ahead or differentiated
enough to not be left behind.  I know FreeBSD will always make a great
server, but Linux could (will?) catch up.  And FreeBSD doesn't have the desktop
flexibility to compete with Linux in that arena.  But i certainly don't want
to sell ourselves short or underestimate the core developers.

jm