Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:08:23 -0400
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Re: Bridged networking with vmware

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 09:21:33AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:
> :- 4.0-Release was just testing release, if I don't miss something. And
> :- bridge options will be not supported on it.
>
> If at all possible, could you please make sure that 4.1-RELEASE stays
> supported?
I can't guarantee nothing, sorry guys.

> It is absolutely impossible (for operational reasons) for
> us to run -STABLE.
But for me it's impossible to do a testing on a spread range platforms.

> Also, could you modify your port so that it issues an error message if
> it is installed on a version that it doesn't support.  Your latest port
> merrily installs on 4.0-RELEASE, but it doesn't run on 4.0-RELEASE.
I don't think that it doesn't run, it should run, but without networking
stuff.

> It would also be good to change the DESCRIPTION file to mention OS version
> dependencies.
Unfortunately I don't have ability to do a testing.

> A final suggestion: it would be great to maintain a version that *does* work
> on 4.0-RELEASE, even if it doesn't support bridging.  I'm sure there are
> other sites like ours that can't jump on new FreeBSD releases immediately.
If you have -RELEASE just use port from /usr/ports tree what is coming
with you release. And you will be guaranteed to have the same result as
for date when release was published, not less, not more.

--
Vladimir