Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:35:55 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Charlie ROOT <root@hammerfell.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Congrats!

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 02:21:06PM -0600, Charlie ROOT wrote:

> [I hope no one takes this message as spam.]
>
> With all the complaints and hardships people come across when upgrading
> (particularly across the 3.x -> 4.x boundary), I'm sure it sometimes looks
> like no one is ever satisfied, and the whole mess deserves to be sent to
> /dev/null.
>
> I, however, would like to congratulate the FreeBSD (and, by proxy, the
> contributing code from all the *BSDs and even Linux, in parts) team for
> their hard work.  The upgrade worked for me.  Yes, it required some
> tweaking, part of which resulted from me not knowing something, or
> thinking I knew it better than the people who write UPDATING, but it
> _WORKED_.  That in itself is amazing.  Approximately two hundred megabytes
> of source code compiled without a hitch, and upgraded a system in
> situ.  AMAZING.

	The published help posted to -questions helped me move from
	3.2 to 4.0 last may... on my research and experimental platform,
	tho.  Not *here*.  Here, I am still at 3.2.

	My question for this list is: will it make more sense to
	upgrade this 3.2 system to 3.5 before I make the Great Leap?

	With 3.2 -> 3.5 I won't be holding my breath and quaking in
	my boots....

	Anybody??

	gary

--