Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:31:52 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

In message <20000915143515.N40658@radon.gryphonsoft.com>, Will Andrews
writes:
> Ok people.  I want a reason why we shouldn't move rsh/rlogin/rcmd out of
> the base system and into ports, now that we can support SSH connections
> out of the box.
>
> And, ahead of the pack of y'all, POLA be damned!

Yet another reason why everything, not just ports, should be installed
using packages.  Then install just what you want.

Given that packages for parts of the base system are not here today, I
would add telnet and ftp to this list too.  They should not be
installed by default.  SSH only.

Other apps that should be in ports are NFS, NIS, sendmail (we already
have qmail and postfix in ports), and possibly even inetd itself -- who
needs inetd when you've got SSH.

If we're going to do it let's do it right the first time.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC