Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:25:31 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Packages (was: Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends)

In message <20000915231308.A5459@freebie.demon.nl>, Wilko Bulte writes:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:59:38PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 01:31:52PM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems G
> roup wrote:
> > > Yet another reason why everything, not just ports, should be installed
> > > using packages.  Then install just what you want.
> >
> > I don't agree that *everything* should be installed using packages.. but
> > certainly some things should be.
>
> Like the /usr/games stuff?
>
> > > Other apps that should be in ports are NFS, NIS, sendmail (we already
> > > have qmail and postfix in ports), and possibly even inetd itself -- who
> > > needs inetd when you've got SSH.
> > >
> > > If we're going to do it let's do it right the first time.
>
> Which is, IMHO, not having to select 10^6 different items during
> sysinstall. That would smell like Linux, right?

What would be wrong with that?  Solaris is installed via packages.  So
are the most widely distributed mainframe operating systems (MVS, VM,
and VSE).  AIX installs everything using packages.  The fact that
RedHat has adopted this approach, which has been used for years before
Linus even dreamed of Lunux, doesn't mean it's the Linux way of doing
things.  I think the opposite is true: Not using packages is the BSD
approach, then there's the package approach that the rest of the world
uses.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC