Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:55:05 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Search Engine For Site

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 04:16:45PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> There is some discussion going on about the website's search capability.
> Is the documentation project interested in discussing changing the search
> engine?

Yes.

Off the top of my head, I'd like any replacement to be

  (a)  Properly documented, so that it's easy for the admins and mirrors
       to keep track of what it's doing.

  (b)  Follow common conventions for specifying search times.  Personally,
       I think that means that the default should be to match any of the
       terms, preferring documents in the results set that contain more
       of the terms.

       Making multiple terms mandatory should be specified with either
       "and" between the terms, or specifying a term with a leading '+'.

  (c)  Long literal terms should be allowed, allowing people to easily enter
       in error messages.

  (d)  Matches in the results should be highlighted.

  (e)  The search engine should be available in the ports collection.

  (f)  It should be possible to specify the ordering of results (number of
       matching keywords, date, file size, ...)

Thoughts?