Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:23:05 +0200
From:      Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kai Voigt <k@123.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1-STABLE, make world problems, funny case

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Kai Voigt wrote:
>
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I did a 4.1-R installation from scratch on my machine that used to run
> > FreeBSD 3.x for ages.  Then I cvsup'ed the -STABLE sources and ran
> > "make buildworld" in /usr/src as usual.  I get changing error messages like
> > this one.
> >
> > make: don't know how to make /usr/obJ/usr/src/i386/usr/include/stdarg.h. Stop
>
> Single bit error (j -> J) - bad memory.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation.  Is there some way to find out where
this broken bit is located?  One way could be to exchange ram slot by slot
and run "make world" again till it works out, but maybe there is some memory
testing software.

I'm just wondering why this didn't occur earlier, but right after the upgrade.

Kai

--
kai voigt                                                     dreiecksplatz 8
                                                                   24105 kiel