Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:51:05 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Chris Coleman <ccoleman@oreilly.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Card Recommendations

> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:42:37 -0700
> From: Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 05:27:30PM -0500, Chris Coleman wrote:
> > Can people here recommend a good PCCard Ethernet card that is both cheap
> > and stable.  We want something supported and reliable that is
> > inexpensive to sell on the BSD mall.
>
> I've never had any trouble with my 3Com 3CCE589ET (It just works with
> not configuration at all on my HP Omnibook 4150), but I think there are
> probably better options in terms of price.
>
> > We are trying to make it easy to find good BSD supported hardware.
> >
> > A good Wireless card recommendation would be welcome as well.
>
> Currently the only reasionable choice is the Lucent Orinoco (aka
> WaveLAN) gold card because 128-bit crypto is the only way to go and only
> the Lucent driver supports crypto at all.  I'm writing this one my
> laptop with one of those in it using 128-bit crypto to a Cisco Aironet
> Access Point.  Beware that the PCI card's don't currently work due to
> interupt routing issues.  Warner knows what the issues are, but hasn't
> had time to actually solve the problems.

Please be aware that the WEP 128 bit encryption used by 802.11 is very
poor and easily broken. (I have several citations for this which I
hope to find eventually.) If you are concerned with security, use ssh.

That said, the encryption is better than nothing by quite a bit.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)