Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:11:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

> > It doesn't really translate or travel very well, since the
> > "his wonders to perform" was truncated, and assumes that the
> > reader is either well read, Christian, or a Charleton Heston
> > fan.
>
> This is a very obfuscated way of saying "I think so little of you that
> I don't think any of you will get this joke, but I, on the other hand,
> being better educated than any of you, understand it."

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I don't think "well read, Christian, or a Charleton Heston fan"
translates directly to "better educated".

You must really be an avid reader, a devout Christion, or a very
big Heston fan to make this leap of illogic.

> Get real. Nobody in Norway who's got enough brain cells to operate
> FreeBSD will have any trouble understanding the joke.

Hardly.  Jordan's American, and it's a predominantly English
joke, so him saying he didn't get it was pretty indicative
that it didn't travel well.  I don't know if Jordan is an avid
reader or not, or whether he's a devout Christian, or not, but
I'm pretty sure that his views on gun ownership are well enough
known that we could probably say that the Heston association is
tenuous, at best (don't know if you are in the U.S. or not, but
Heston is spokesperson for the NRA -- National Rifle Association).

The basis of the joke required people to complete an _English_
phrase in their mind to make the association.  I maintain that
the joke is anglocentric.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---