Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:04:42 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Copy

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:36:46AM -0600, James Wyatt thus spoke:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> > James Wyatt wrote some time ago:
> > > and user tar/cpio to transfer files.

> > These programs are the wrong tools to do it. They can be used to
> > handle regular files and {hard,soft} links but they will fail
> > for device nodes, sparse files and all the other nice features.
> > Use dump, dump or dump:

> > cd /
> > mount /new-root-partition /mnt
> > dump 0af - | (cd /mnt ; restore -rf -)
> > umount /mnt

> Thanks, due to ancient experiences with dump/restore on an old BSD
> VAX and a Tandy RS/6000, I've disliked dump by default, ..

Been there on the 6000. Can't say that I blame you one bit.

> Does anyone have bootable tape support on x86? The MakeSysB tape
> generation on AIX boxes rocks. There also used to be a SCO-usable
> product (CTar?) that made a tape and a boot floppy. Both worked well.

Ctar was the original - Mike Schwartz as I recall - the company was
Unitrends.  It's still around but it's decendants BackupEdge from
Microlite and Lone-Tar from Cactus are quite popular.

Edge supports boot from tape on the new HPs.  They don't support
the FreeBSD market.  Lone-Tar supports FreeBSD.  How well I'm not
sure as I haven't installed my copy - I need to get my tape drive
fixed first.  I have seen no vendor which supports bootable
disaster recovery software under FreeBSD, though LoneTar and BRU
have bootable recovery disks for Linux.

I've not used a current BRU - just on an old SGI so I can't tell
you about that.  I've used both BE and LT on client machines
[primarily SCO] and they handle a complete backup, including all
the /dev files, and empty directores, etc., properly.

All commercial stuff.  They do have downloads.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com