Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:13:40 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <alan@batie.org>
To:        "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
Cc:        Umesh Krishnaswamy <umesh@juniper.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Defeating SYN flood attacks

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:06:45PM -0700, David G. Andersen wrote:
> FreeBSD has been synflood resistant for several years.  To a first order,
> you cannot effectively synflood a decently provisioned FreeBSD box and
> deny service to it UNLESS your "synflood" is really just a bandwidth
> consumption attack that eats up all of their bandwidth.
>
> There was a problem that cropped up about a year ago where a *really high
> volume* syn flood could cause some kernel problems, but that's fixed in
> all of the recent 4.x versions.  Really high volume means 10Mbps+.

I was just subject to such an attack last weekend; I'm running 4.1-RELEASE
at the moment.  The attack was SYNs from a large number of (probably
spoofed, randomly generated) addresses to a sequence of ports.  The reason
I noticed it was because the port unreachable icmp messages exceeded the
default icmp bandwidth limit and the console and syslog were filled with
the resulting messages about that.  The attack ran from Friday evening
until Monday morning.  I'm not sure if it's related, but it's suspicious,
that the system under attack crashed (wedged) Sunday morning.

FWIW

--
Alan Batie                   ______    www.rdrop.com/users/alan      Me
alan@batie.org               \    /    www.qrd.org         The Triangle