Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:20:01 -0500
From:      mbac@mmap.nyct.net (Michael Bacarella)
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lint

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 01:56:46PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> >But GCC with the right switches can do a better job than Lint anyway

> GCC won't report `returned value ignored'.  AFAIK, this is primarily
> due to the LISP-like viewpoint of it's authors - they don't see that
> ignoring a returned value is in any way abnormal.

You know.. nobody is really forcing GCC on anyone.

I really rather wish ya'll would develop a new compiler already instead
of bellyaching over how GCC/GNU philosophy is ruining everything.

Not that you're really saying anything like that, but it seems
like a common sentiment among the userbase, and I really would
be interested in seeing (and supporting) a new C compiler. I do
think you can do better. GCC is pretty slow, for example.

--
Michael Bacarella <mbac@mmap.nyct.net>	;finger address for public key
GPG Key Fingerprint: B4E4 82F5 BCAC AB83 E6F7  B5AA 933E 2A75 79A4 A9C1