Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:15:11 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        security-officer@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   audit patches need reviewing/committing

Dear Security Officer team,

For those of you on -audit, you might have noticed lately that a large
number of people have been going through the FreeBSD src code and
auditing it for things such as buffer overflows or improper use of APIs
like mmap(), strdup(), et al.

It would be nice if someone with credibility currently in the Security
Officer team could step up to the plate and do some reviewing.. since
not that many of us are experienced in doing this job, and so not that
many of us have credibility in this area.  If there's nobody who's
assigned to do that, that kind of makes it pointless for non-SO people
to be auditing the code, since their patches will just rot and require
some merging into the tree.  And if people keep auditing it but nobody
looks at their diffs, who knows what mistakes might propagate in the
diffs and need to be fixed?

So, I guess my question is this: is auditing a priority of the SO team
at all?  If so, someone should be appointed to the team that can be
relied on for proper reviews/commits & such, or someone should be picked
from the current time to perform this "duty".  :-)

I don't feel safe (and I am sure many other committers) committing my
auditing diffs because I have no idea if there's any problems with them.
If someone who had credibility could review them.. that'd be excellent.

I know that if I had credibility I'd review and commit patches to take
the load off the SO team.

--
wca