Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:54:22 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c)

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 02:50:18PM -0800, Kris Kennaway scribbled:
| On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 03:36:52PM -0000, Jason Halbert wrote:
| > Err..  In what way is PAL better then NTSC?  NTSC may have about 100
| > lines less to scan, but it refreshes 10Hz faster then PAL.  I used to
| > work in a facility that had a lot of PAL dubbing... if I watched the
| > PAL monitors for too long I would get a headache.  You can actually
| > watch PAL flicker.
|
| I've never noticed the refresh rate, but the quality of picture is
| *noticeably* higher for PAL. I've had two US friends express
| unprompted amazement at seeing the resolution and picture quality of
| stuff taped from australian TV, for example (on my large, multi-system
| TV ;-).

I ask the same questions about why Americans not using
GSM but PCS cell phones.  (FYI, the reason for using PCS in the U.S.
was a pure political reason, none other than America wanting
to "lead" the industry. :) )

But since the rest of the world uses SI units and GSM phones,
there is not much "leading" there.

/me dons the Anti-American-Flame asbestos suit

Note to NORAD: Please do not fire the ICBM's with U.S.A. markings
               at my apartment.  I do not have much use for them nowadays.