Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 02:19:33 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jim Bloom <bloom@acm.org>, "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic from Yesterday's CVSup

> My patches may help with this, but they are a lot more than just a single
> change, they are an overhaul of the interrupt threads code. :)  If you are
> really curious, you can find them at
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/sys.patch.  Currently, however, they reduce
> the system to a crawl.  Well, at least console I/O feels like a 2400 baud
> modem.  I'm even losing characters on the keyboard. :(

Sort of killing a mosquito with a missile ;-)

Seriously, I will try your patch to confirm it works, then I'll go back
to a regular -current kernel and live without ejecting the card...

While I was reading your patch I was wondering: what's the situation with
IRQ sharing between PCCard and other devices? Since you're doing such a
massive rework, wouldn't this be a good time to also deal with this if
possible (well not now of course, after your patch is confirmed ok and
committed)?

In case I was not clear: at the moment pccard and cardbus devices can't
share IRQ line with any kind of other devices. The best explanation of
this mentioned only pccard and said it was handled as ISA so you coulnd't
share, but in theory it was possible to handle pccard in a different way.
And cardbus shouldn't be a problem at all I think.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.