Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:26:25 +0900
From:      Hiroaki Etoh <etoh@trl.ibm.co.jp>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, ash@lab.poc.net, kjm@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp, iwamura@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp
Subject:   Base system with gcc stack-smashing protector

On 17 Nov, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> This was trivial to get working on FreeBSD, but here is a patch
> against the system gcc in 4.x which will compile a ProPolice-enabled
> version, so FreeBSD users can start easily making use of this. The
> patch is the same for 5.x users except you will need to replace
> "contrib/gcc" with "contrib/gcc.295" in the diff.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/protector.patch

Iwamura-san and Etoh have finished to build the stack protected version
of FreeBSD base system!  Iwamura-san fixed several linkage errors
generated from the above patch.

We confirmed the protected system blocked the bind TSIG exploit which is
announced from CERT, 31 Jan, 2001.

Here is a patch against the system 4.2-RELEASE.
http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/ssp/protector.patch

See http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/ssp/buildfreebsd.html for
details.

We are still working on building the protected version of kernel.

Hiroaki Etoh,
Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Japan

Makoto Iwamura,
Muraoka Lab., Waseda University