Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:14:46 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:09:36AM +0000, Antony T Curtis wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >=20
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:30:33AM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > > Dear Sirs.
> > >
> > > I'm really confused and surprised by the fact, that with the upcoming=
 new
> > > FreeBSD 4.3 in its make.conf we can choose architectural parameters f=
or the
> > > CPU architecture. And I will tell you why.
>=20
> <snip>
>=20
> > I've been running NIS on FreeBSD with world and kernel compiled with
> > -march=3Dpentiumpro for about 9 months with no ill effects.  In fact
> > I've never heard of reports of bad code generation using the -march
> > settings -- it appears to be very stable.  Are you sure you didn't
> > have a nonstandard optimization setting (-O2, etc) as well?
>=20
> I have world compiled with -O2 with no ill effect (that I have noticed)
> but if I compile the kernel with -O2, it looks okay but has problems
> with talking TCP/IP - seems to generate faulty checksums and some other
> quirks.... To put it simply, stable kernels are only with -O (in my
> experience)
>=20
> (however, I have compiled KLDs with -O2 with no ill effect)

Yes, this is well known (and documented in /etc/make.conf).  I've
*never* heard failure reports associated with using an -march option,
nor seen any myself (all my systems run with -march=3D<whatever> and
have never shown failures; contrasted with -O2 which inevitably causes
problems each time I'm tempted to try it)

I think Jordan's commit to /etc/make.conf warning people off of using
CPUTYPE was premature.

Kris

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--