Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:37:58 -0600
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@willinet.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a box, and your experience.

 On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:27:37AM -0500, lists wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> having received some good advice from a reliable source, i am looking to
> pick up a used box to boot FreeBSD from scratch, and let the pain and
> suffering,    uh,  I mean the fun and games, begin.
>
> What I have in mind is a 486/66 with 32MB of ram and a 2GB disk.  I guess
> I'll need a floppy and a cd, if that needs to be said.  Could probably do
> with an ethernet connection, although that can probably be added later.
> I'll need a keyboard, but I think I have a monitor that'll work.
>
> How have you, or would you locate such a one, and what should I be aware /
> beware of?  How inexpensively can I do this?
>
> thanks,
>
> chris

Hi Chris,

Well, you may or may not believe this, but it just so happens that I have
FreeBSD 4.1.1 installed on a 486/66 with 20MB of ram and a 1.5GB drive, CD
and ethernet card. Only installed it a few days ago, had Linux on it up till
then. Now are you ready for this? My brother and I found it sitting outside
the county hwy dept shop. They were throwing it away, so I got it for $0.00.
Went to Walmart and picked up a $15.00 keyboard and a $9.00 mouse, my bro
tossed in an old SVGA monitor that had been collecting dust for a couple of
years. So for $24 plus tax, license, dealer prep, and options I had my
Linux/FreeBSD machine.

I mention this because since then I have come across a couple of other guys
that have gotten similar deals with low end (75/90) Pentium machines from
office and university upgrades. Since they are basicly worth nothing, and it
costs money to dispose of them, they just give they to whoever wants them.
Another option might be state or school actions. The state prison in South
Dakota just upgraded all their system, and all the old stuff went to state
auction, heard there were complete systems going for as little as $25. Wish
I had known about it. So keep your eyes and ears open, you may come out
better than you thought you could.
--
  >Lute<
     Hey! It happens. Well it does...