Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:18:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Michael Scheidell <scheidell@fdma.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connection attempts (& active ids)

<<On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:03:11 -0400 (EDT), Michael Scheidell <me2@privacy.net> said:

> If I don't know they are trying, they  WILL get in.

If you don't make it worth their while, they will move on to a more
tempting target.  There are enough unpatched DeadRat 7.0 machines in
the world to occupy their time for quite a while.

My network has a thousand machines on it, of which about ten are
somewhat under my personal control.  I could spend all my time every
day responding to IDS alerts, port scans, address scans, and such
like, or I could put real effort into ensuring that the
mission-critical systems I am responsible for are managed properly and
securely -- not to mention educating the people who manage the others
about doing the same.  I don't think I need to state which activity I
find more useful.

-GAWollman