Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 07:47:57 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM, S/Key and authentication schemes.

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:36:25AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> We talked to the Sun guy who came up with PAM at the last
> FreeBSD user's group meeting, in Foster City, CA, last
> month.
>
> The PAM API, as it currently sits, is incapable of correctly
> supporting Kerberos, and several other authentication schemes.
>
> Apparently, the only way to fix this is to change the PAM API.

Hey, I'm glad that has sunk in. We debated about this back in February
(thread in this forum containing Message-ID
<20010217190800.A38833@spawn.nectar.com>).

Moreover, I  think Mark already  understands this, and in  this thread
when  `authentication' appears,  it should  almost always  be read  as
`interactive  authentication' e.g.  enter  a secret  or  respond to  a
challenge or such.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org