Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 06:11:23 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft giving back to FreeBSD !!

[ Trimmed Cc: list.  Do we have to cross-post? ]

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:06:55PM -0600, Don Wilde wrote:

> "Pedro F. Giffuni" wrote:
>
> > Perhaps now that they are working with Corel on this, and FreeBSD is
> > one of the two supported platforms we can finally get a native port of
> > Corel's office suite. (there you go ... a plausible campaign).
>
> My understanding is that Corel has been running away at hyperspeed from
> Linux. Their Corel Draw graphics suite is no longer supported as a
> front-line product, for example.

Which linux of them all?

Oh, oh, you mean Corel Linux?  *sigh*

</satire>

Well, it can be kind of daunting and rather tiresome to try to make
Corel-Draw work out of the box on an infinite number of distributions.
On the other hand, there are loads of programs out there that seem to
manage perfectly fine.

Corel Draw is a nice program to have.  It always seems to do wonders
with graphics, once you get the hang of the usual Corel stupidness of
implementing a GUI of their own and not relying on the OS/API beneath
to provide with the interface style.  I even bought a copy of the
program when I was running Linux on my home PC.  If not for the sake
of having a nice vector graphics program around, just for making sure
that those few bucks would probably make it apparent that good
commercial software *can* and *will* be bought by Open Source users.

Then support was dropped.  And it seemed to bring back all those dim
memories of hating commercial vendors, just because of the ease which
they can 'abandon' their users with.

You mean *that* Corel?
Somehow, I dont seem to be interested in them anymore.

-giorgos