Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:43:07 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Bryan Fullerton <bjf@samurai.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE latency

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:09:14AM -0400, Bryan Fullerton thus sprach:

> I've been wondering why the latency is higher in FreeBSD's PPPoE
> implementation. From what I've seen, ping times via my gateway box
> are significantly higher than what friends are seeing with dedicated
> router boxes (ie Linksys) on the same DSL provider.

The only way to be sure it is OS related [and I suspect it is not]
is to take your machine to their location.  DSL can vary in speed
from location to location.

> Here's what I'm seeing to the other end of my connection, no other
> meaningful traffic going on:

> --- 65.92.109.1 ping statistics ---
> 100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 53.982/65.063/102.373/7.478 ms

> Here's a ping on my friend's machine (Mac ping, sorry for lack of precision):

> Packets out/in/bad/%loss = 64/64/0/0.0
> Round Trip Time (ms) min/avg/max = 14/24/59

My BSD runs 19.447/19.874/20.255/0.322 on my DSL.

Since the first link to the DSL is not your system but the box
above it, I really suspect that is the problem.  BTW I am NOT using
PPPoE but PPoA.  That link is a 512/128.  I just telneted into
another DSL I have - at a different location - and that is
14.881/15.613/16.369/0.547

It is the same provider - the ISP I help run.  But the first link
is a Sprint DSL [PPoA], and the second is BellSouth in a bridge
mode.  Both go to the same router - but use two different transport
links.  We resell their connections instead of putting in hardware
at the CO.

> Any thoughts? I can live with this, the connection is rock solid and
> has been for over a year now, just curious as to why. Apologies if
> this has come up before, I searched the list archives and the bug
> list.

While not using DSL for that length of time, I really don't think
it is the FreeBSD.  Taking your machine to your friends place is
the only way to check - as only then will you be using the same
routing all the way, both connecting to the same DSLAM, etcetera.

BTW - my link at 512K qualifies for 3MB but that costs more, priced
by speed, but the one at the office [that I telneted to and then
timed going out] is running about 1MB, and the only thing
guaranteed is something below 512 - perhaps 380 - but the closer
you are the faster you go.  Those are marketing decisions made by
the respective companies.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com