Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:07:25 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        Chern Lee <chern@meow.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASCII Diagram Replacements

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 05:05:01PM -0700, Linh Pham wrote:
> There is also Kivio that provides a Visio clone for the KDE
> window environment. I think it's development (or at least 'maintained')
> by theKompany.com, and seems be okay. I don't know if it's to the
> caliber of Dia (since I haven't used Dia... nor have I used Kivio for a
> while). The URL to the Kivio site is:
>
> http://www.thekompany.com/products/kivio/index.php3?dhtml_ok=1

This appears to be a problem :

  "Please note: While Kivio is a GPL application, all the stencil sets
   provided by theKompany.com, including the basic stencil shapes
   bundled with Kivio are copywritten and owned by theKompany.com. All
   information and images provided are copywritten and cannot be used
   in part or in whole for any other work, including free or
   commercial stencil sets. You are free to create your own stencil
   sets from your own work."

If this can be resolved then great, we've got another tool that can be
used.  I think the general question that needs to be answered is how
important is consistency?  Adam Stanislav made some nice looking
PostScript diagrams by hand.  I actually prefer the Dia output, but
his were still very good.  The main problem I have with his images is
that we now must rely on him to hand craft every PostScript file in
the handbook if we want any kind of consistency.

A far better option would be if we can all agree that we very much
value consistency.  If that is the case then it will mean
standardizing on an open-source application (or set of applications,
or simply a stencil-set to be used with any application) to draw
network diagrams for our documentation.  From what I've seen Dia and
Kivio are sufficiently similar that we shouldn't have to choose
between one or the other.  We just must choose to standardize on those
applications (and this means making new images to replaces the
excellent ones that Adam made for the ISDN section) and not to allow
any random .eps file that doesn't bear a strong resemblance to our
existing diagrams.

What does everyone else think about this?  Adam?

	- Murray