Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:56:39 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Sean Ellis <sellis@telus.net>
Cc:        Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail upgrade

Sean Ellis <sellis@telus.net> wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> I been making some changes with my own sendmail. I thought that the
> executable was  /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail with permissions 4555.

As a matter of fact, it is.
The _real_ executable of sendmail is in /usr/libexec/sendmail.

What you see in /usr/sbin/sendmail is a link to mailwrapper.
This exists because programs might call sendmail with an absolute path
(programs such as pine, mutt, etc).

If you install some other MTA instead of Sendmail (qmail for example),
you only have to update /etc/mail/mailer.conf to make sure that everyone calls
the right MTA when they invoke /usr/sbin/sendmail.  It's all explained pretty
nicely in the mailwrapper manpage actually :)

-giorgos