Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:10:27 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

> Me personally, I would be behind any country in our situation that
> decided to go after the perpetrators and all who would hide them.
> Japan, Britain, Germany, Russia--you name it.  This has NOTHING to do
> with past events.  You can trace through recent world history like the
> most enlightened scholar around, but there isn't a context you can
> give me that make such a crime acceptable.  So trying to concoct one
> seems a waste to me.

This crime is not acceptable.  There is no justification for it.
America has every right to retaliate.  No argument on that.

BUT - knowing America, the retaliation is only going to create a
further unholy mess, which will poison the region for years, as if it
hasn't been damaged enough already, and I'm from a country in that
region which is already suffering from the terrorism which resulted
from America's earlier experiments there.  Islamic terrorists, from
that part of the world, using know-how gained from Americans, set off
serial bomb blasts in 1992-93 in Bombay which killed hundreds of
people.  Where was your American anti-terrorist fervour then?  They
hijacked an Indian Airlines flight from Nepal, and after taking it all
over the middle east, kept it for days in Khandahar (Afghanistan),
killing one passenger on the way.  They've killed thousands in
Kashmir.  Forget about India if you like: Pakistan, America's
erstwhile ally, has been perhaps the hardest hit by fundamentalist
sectarian violence; Pakistan's politicians acknowledge it today.  They
too made mistakes in not controlling the cancer earlier; but
ultimately all this, I repeat, is the doing of the CIA; they couldn't
stomach the thought of the Soviets entering Afghanistan, and any means
were fair game to the end of getting them out.  Well, it all comes
around eventually.

This time, I fear, the results of America's "revenge" will be much
worse: not only for countries in that region, but for the whole world.
That's not to say nothing should be done.  Handled wisely, maybe
terrorism can indeed be controlled, the lot of those countries can be
improved, the world can become a better place.  Somehow, I don't trust
America to take us to that kind of Utopia.  Not on past record.  I'm
mildly encouraged by the fact that they haven't started bombing yet;
but only mildly.