Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:43:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tom Greenwalt <tomg@trancer.trancer.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS Question

I acting as the primary nameserver for a friend's domain.  Several
weeks ago he changed the IP address and I updated the DNS records
here for him.  Now if we do a:

nslookup hisdomain serverx

we get his old IP address back.  If we turn around and do a:

dig @serverx hisdomain

we get the new IP address back, then if we go back and do another
nslookup, it returns the correct IP.  I expected cached entries to
expire after 7 days, so I'm confused about where other servers are
getting the old IP address.

Would someone explain what is happening?
Thanks.

--
Tom Greenwalt (F.O.E.)       Trancer Software Inc.         tomg@trancer.com
9099 7th Street NE                                  http://www.trancer.com/