Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:55:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Mark Costlow <cheeks@swcp.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dynamic SCSI device names

This seems like a newbie question, but I haven't been able to turn up the
answer in the handbook or list archives.

If I have a FreeBSD 4.4 system with several SCSI devices, the kernel names
them da0, da1, da2, etc. at boot time, regardless of their SCSI IDs.  If I
remove one of the drives, say the one labeled da1, and reboot, the kernel
renames them so that da2 becomes da1, da3 becomes da1, etc.

So if I have a system where I periodically want to attach a drive and remove
it, I have to boot single user to fix fstab when the drive is added or removed
(or conspire to have it be the last drive on the last SCSI bus).  I'm also
playing with a system that I want to have a spare boot disk, and I'd like to
have the device numbering nailed down so the spare drive can boot without
having to know how the SCSI chain has changed.

So is there a kernel option to use static device naming by any chance?  Or am
I missing something about why this dynamic naming is a good thing?

Thanks,

Mark
--
Mark Costlow    | Southwest Cyberport | Fax:   +1-505-232-7975
cheeks@swcp.com | Web:   www.swcp.com | Voice: +1-505-232-7992

      "Education is never a waste" - Viscount du Valmont