Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:25:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kevin Brunelle <frobbnicate42@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HOWTO -- backup onto CDRs?

Hello world,

I was wondering how I would backup all of my files
onto CDs. I have
several Gigs worth of data and CDs are probably my
best course of
action.

My CD burner works fine and I use it all the time. I
was planning on
just trying to write to the device (tar cLjvf 716800
/dev/acd1c *) but
this doesn't work -- I really didn't expect that it
would but I had to
try. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to
break up a tar
archive on a size boundary ... aka backup0.tar,
backup1.tar, etc. All
broken at the 700MB boundary so I can make iso images
out of them and
then burn them to disk. I could do this by hand by
renaming the files
when I am prompted to change media by tar... but I am
not sure if this
would allow me to recover the files later. I am also
not sure if this is
the best way.

I have tried to find some information on how this
would be done but have
been unsuccessful. If anyone knows where I can find
this information and
could point me at it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Brunelle
--
"The thing I love most about deadlines is the
wonderful WHOOSHing sound

=====
Don't open your eyes, you won't like what you see,
The devils of truth steal the souls of the free.
Don't open your eyes, take it from me,
I have found you can find happiness in slavery.