Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:57:42 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")

--6K2R/cS9K4qvcBNq

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 06:08:43PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > You, or anyone else, are free to create their own installer and/or
> > related technologies.  You can create your own FreeBSD distro if you wa=
nt,
> > and go and market it.
> >=20
> > But you must also include, somewhere, the project's installation
> > routine, and provide a mechanism that lets the end user choose what gets
> > run.
>=20
> How about we call this mechanism "buying CDROM A instead of CDROM B"?

How about we call it "Providing a fall back that the project can point
to on -questions so they can say 'We can't answer questions about any
installer except the project's -- please contact your vendor if you're
having problems with their installation routine'".

> > For example, you might ship on CDROM, and include the project's floppy
> > disk images, and instructions on how to use them to create a "FreeBSD
> > Project" install.
>=20
> This is actually the first time this particular option has
> been raised as "permissable".

I've mentioned this before, and to you.

    Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:25:13 +0100
    Subject: Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

    [...]

    Not at all.  If you're thinking of shipping a CD, make sure that
    somewhere on that CD is a copy of the existing two floppy images, a copy
    of fdimage (or similar), and a paragraph of documentation that says:

      If you would prefer to use the standard FreeBSD installer
      (sysinstall) then take two blank floppies.  Insert the first floppy,
      and run "fdimage mfsroot.flp a:", then insert the second floppy and
      run "fdimage boot.flp a:".  Leave that floppy in the drive, and
      reboot (making sure to set your BIOS to "boot from floppy").  The
      FreeBSD Project installer will then start.  Using this installer is
      not documented here (we strongly urge you to use the installer we
      provide and document) but it is covered in chapter 2 of the FreeBSD
      Handbook, at http://www.FreeBSD.org/.

    That would completely satisfy the requirements I've outlined.

    [...]

> > Or you could describe how the user can interrupt the
> > boot process and change the init path variable to point to sysinstall
> > instead of your own installer.
>=20
> Not workable, due to CDROM boot image size restrictions.

That's not an issue.  By this point, the CD has already booted, and
we're in the FreeBSD loader.

Specifically, I'm talking about setting the "init_path" variable.  Your
custom distribution might come with init_path set to "/terry/install".
Your instructions just need to say:

    If you would prefer to use the standard FreeBSD installer, boot from
    CDROM as normal.  When you see the '>' prompt, press SPACE to
    interrupt the boot process.  Then type

        set init_path=3D/stand/sysinstall
	boot

    The FreeBSD Project installer will then start.  Using this installer is
    not documented here (we strongly urge you to use the installer we
    provide and document) but it is covered in chapter 2 of the FreeBSD
    Handbook, at http://www.FreeBSD.org/.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--6K2R/cS9K4qvcBNq

--6K2R/cS9K4qvcBNq--