Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 06:50:34 -0700
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, des@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

Mark Murray wrote:
> > Does having this redirector serve any useful purpose? It's an extra
> > piece of code to maintain, it's an extra potential security risk, it's
> > an extra source of potential confusion to the Perl user if there's a bug
> > in it, and I can't see any useful purpose in it existing.
> >
> > Either /usr/bin/perl is there or it isn't, we don't need a fancy
> > redirector to tell us it's not installed.
> >
> > A symlink is a much more sensible solution to this problem and a
> > redirector just seems to be creating a toy for the fun of it rather than
> > to solve any real problem.
>
> I'm completely ambivalent on this point. Symlink or redirector; I
> don't mind. Once perl5 is out of the system cleanly, I'll consider
> my job done.

It seems to me that if we are going to install perl by default, the
usefulness of a redirector is slight IMHO.  If people don't have perl
installed it means they have disabled it themselves since it's in the
default install; so they should know that they need to install the port
if they finally decided they need it.  If judged necessary, that could
be explained during the installation.

I wouldn't like to start a new bikeshed now that we went to a concensus,
so I here is one kind of compromise. We could have the redirector for
now, so that people who disabled it without knowing or, for some reason,
disabled it but were still expecting it to be here can get it right and
remove it for 6.0 in the favor of a symlink.

Thanks,
Maxime