Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:35:37 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Joe Sotham <joe@sotham.com>, Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
Cc:        Newbie list <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: slightly OT: Deprecated Linuxism  Re: 4.6 ISO files

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 01:58 pm, Joe Sotham wrote:

> For my personal edification would someone please explain what a deprecated
> linuxism is.  Please copy me as I am not always subscribed...

"Deprecated Linuxism" isn't in the Official FreeBSD Dictionary of Slang, so
I'll have to go by memory :-)

A "linuxism" is a way of doing things that only makes sense on Linux. Many
people who have used Linux but never used another Unix or unix-like system
believe that the Linux way of doing things is the right way. One project in
particular (which I won't name) had on their front webpage that it wouldn't
work under FreeBSD and that it was FreeBSD's fault for not using Linux style
threads. One of the more common linuxisms is the organization of the proc
filesystem.

A "deprecated linuxism" is a linuxism that is outdated, archaic, wrong, or
insecure, but Linux people don't know any better because their distros keep
shipping with it. Remember, the average Linux person has no clue that
anything outside of their distros even exist. One example of a deprecated
linuxism is RPM.

The original post about ISO images being a deprecated linuxism was a joke. It
was like saying "what do you want an ISO image for, are you some Linux luser
who hasn't got with the program yet?" Whereupon the Linux user goes off
pondering whether or not he's a neanderthal for even asking the question.

Of course, ISO images are not deprecated, are not linuxisms, and most
certainly not deprecated linuxisms. Of course I don't use them, I've found
something much better. It's called supping the source and building
4.6-RELEASE from scratch...

---
David

p.s. "Official FreeBSD Dictionary of Slang" does not exist. This is a joke.
Don't take it seriously...